Family Tree Maker
During the period from 1989 to 1997, the Family Tree Maker product line created the foundation for today’s multi-billion dollar family history industry:
- First to use professional, warm & welcoming packaging
- First to de-emphasize the word genealogy in favor of family history
- First to focus on an intuitive software user interface that would be successful in markets beyond the professional genealogist
- First family history software to enable organizing any quantity of any kind of information, including audio, photos, & video
- First to start a large scale project to digitize family records
- First software to integrate searching for digitized family records with the user’s tree
- First to enable massive collaboration among users with the World Family Tree
These innovations drove the sales volume to support sophisticated product development and the wealth of products you see in today’s family history marketplace.
The Family Tree Maker app is now available from Software MacKiev at https://www.familytreemaker.com and Family Tree Maker’s many family history databases are part of Ancestry.com’s offerings.
Below are many of the key documents from Family Tree Maker’s early history.
Version 1.0 (September 1989)
Version 1.01 (April 1990)
Family Tree Maker Version 1.01 Supplement (This supplement was used with the Version 1.0 User Guide until supplies ran out.)
Version 2.0 (August 1991)
Family Tree Maker Version 2.0 was published in March, 1990. This version offered the ability to hold more information about your family while continuing to keep it organized and easy to find. Family Tree Maker Version 2.0 could also print beautiful, more compact trees, and it supported the use of a mouse.
Version 3.0 (June 1993)
Version 4.0 (February 1995)
Data Exchange Utility
Version 2.0 (September 1991)
Version 1.0 (February 1993)
Biography Maker was published in January 1993. This program assisted the user in writing biographies or autobiographies.
Family Tree Maker for Windows
Version 1.0 (October 1993)
Published in October 1993 Family Tree Maker for Windows First Edition. This version allowed the user to store almost any kind of family information.
Deluxe Edition (May 1994)
Deluxe Version 3.0 (October 1995)
Deluxe Edition II (May 1994)
Version 3.4 (September 1996)
Standard Edition III (April 1997)
Deluxe Version 5 (May 1998)
Family Tree Maker for Windows Deluxe Edition Version 5 Brochure
Family Tree Maker German Edition
Version 1.0 (January 1995)
A German version of Family Tree Maker was released in April 1996. The tutorials explained the installation and features of Family Tree Maker.
Volume 1.0 (January 1995)
The World Family Tree
Volume 1.0 (November 1995)
Family Tree Maker Online
Version 1.0 (February 1996)
We developed Family Tree Maker Online to take advantage of the recent introduction of Netscape Navigator, which opened up the Worldwide Web to everyone.